[Image courtesy: Erikeltic]
Here are a few interesting facts about Labrador Retrievers:
- The Labrador Retriever is the most popular breed for dog owners worldwide.
- There are three acceptable colors in Labradors: Black, yellow, and chocolate.
- Labrador retrievers are widely acknowledged as intelligent dogs. However, many individuals believe that black Labradors, as opposed to yellow and chocolate, are the smartest within the breed.
- The Labrador Retriever has webbed feet and can perfectly swim in water. They have an otter like tail that acts as rudder for changing direction while they’re swimming.
- They can carry an egg in their mouth without breaking it!
- The small white spot on a Lab’s chest is called a “medallion” a throwback to its ancestors, the St. John’s Water Dogs, which sport the same mark.
- In American Retriever field trials, the Labrador dominates in terms of speed, obedience, and efficiency.
- Notable Labrador Retriever: SADIE
Sadie was part of the 102 Military Working Dog Support Unit of the Royal Army Veterinary Corps (RAVC). In Afghanistan, Sadie was able to save the lives of dozens of soldiers when she detected an explosive device outside the United Nations headquarters in Kabul in November 2005. For this service, she received the Dickin Medal. She retired and lives with her handler after her military service.