Here are a few interesting facts about German Shepherd Dogs:
I have to admit I have a soft corner for this breed. I had a German Shepherd called “Romeo”. He was the best!
Unfortunately, he passed away from cancer in 2011. He took the word “dignity” a whole new level.
He always looked calm, self assured and alert. RIP Romeo – this one’s for you…..
- German Shepherd Dogs originated originated in Germany and were originally bred for hunting and guarding sheep.
- German Shepherd Dogs were also called Alsatian Wolf Dog. The term Alsatian was dropped later because the association with Germany was unpopular following the World Wars.
- German Shepherd Dogs have been in the top five most popular dog breeds in the United States for several years running.
- They are considered to be the third most intelligent breed of dog, behind Border Collies and Poodles.
- German Shepherd Dogs have the ability to learn simple tasks after ONLY FIVE repetitions!!!
- The bite force of:
- German Shepherd has a force of over 238 pounds-force (1,060 N) of force.
- Pit bull, 235 pounds-force (1,050 N) of force.
- Labrador Retriever, of approximately 230 pounds-force (1,000 N) of force.
- A human, approximately 86 pounds-force (380 N) of force.
- German Shepherds have been known for their work in the police & military. They were used in World War II as messenger dogs / rescue dogs / personal guard dogs.
Please add your comments and let me know which breed we should have facts about next…
[Image courtesy: MarilynJane ]